Do you have sex during your period?
In this episode, Leah begins answering the Lowdown questions – with a twist!
To date, she has done well over 60 interviews, most of which have included an in-depth Q&A. As she answers each Lowdown question, you’ll hear a chorus of voices answering the same question. The goal is to remind you, once again, that no matter what your answer is, you are completely normal and you are not alone.
In the second half of the show, she answers an “Am I normal?” question about feeling attractive after major surgery.
- 2:00 – Chorus of voices answering “Do you have sex during your period?”
- 8:30 – Leah answers the question “Do I have sex during my period?”
- 8:50 – Leah talks about her earliest shame/trauma experience around menstruation, being lectured by her dad in a way that made her feel overwhelmed, invaded, and disgusted.
- 10:30 – When Leah gets her first period at age 12, she ignores it. Her mom discovers evidence in the laundry.
- 12:00 – In her 30’s, she has her first experience with a partner wanting to proceed with sex while she is on her period. He’s fine with it. But the sight of her blood on his fingers nearly breaks her.
- 12:55 – She occasionally will have sex while on her period with her current partner, even though she still experiences shame and emotional discomfort.
- 14:03 – Am I normal? question – how can I have sex and feel attractive after major surgery?
- 14:55 – Leah talks about our culture’s ideal body type, how we are harmfully held against a specific and limited standard, and how our belief that we are lovable is tied to that standard.
- 16:34 – Going to a nude sex resort helped Leah see that all types of bodies are sexually attractive to someone.
- 17:58 – Leah directs the audience to Instagram to see bodies with colostomy bags, in wheelchairs, and after breast cancer normalized.
- 19:13 – Leah talks about “body neutrality.”
Check out some of these Instagram accounts to see a variety of bodies enjoying life:
Love and vacations in a wheelchair:
Life after breast cancer:
Fat yoga / Curvy girl yoga:
PSA from Leah –
Body Neutrality: Body image is tied to feeling lovable in our culture, and the specific body image (young, thin, smooth, and perfect) that we hold as the standard actually rarely occurs in the population. So, most of us feel like crap—and the uber-positivity message of “love every inch of your skin no matter what” rings false and seems impossible to achieve. Body neutrality takes a different approach.
These are some of my favorite Instagram accounts that are working in the field of body neutrality:
FACEBOOK GROUP: www.facebook.com/groups/goodgirlstalk
CALL-IN: Want to leave a message for Leah? Call 720-GOOD-SEX (720-466-3739)
PATREON: Become a community supporter at www.patreon.com/goodgirlstalkaboutsex
RATE THIS POD: Leave a rating and review at www.ratethispodcast.com/goodgirls
BE A GUEST: Want to be on the show? Visit www.leahcarey.com/guest
COACHING: Want to talk with Leah directly? Visit www.leahcarey.com/coaching
Music – Nazar Rybak