Episode 19 – Shelly
Shelly is a 44-year-old, cis-gender woman who describes herself as white, lesbian, living with her girlfriend and monogamous. She grew up in the Mormon church, got married and had seven children as she was expected to do. Then several years ago she started questioning her faith and left the church. She then realized that she’s also a lesbian, which is an extreme no-no in the Mormon church.
Major themes in this episode include the interplay of Mormonism and lesbianism, and recovering from guilt and shame from rejecting childhood teachings.
Here are some of the great moments she shared with us:
- 7:00 – As a teenager, having to “confess” all sexual activity and thoughts to an older male bishop
- 12:00 – How consent is impacted when alcohol is involved
- 14:00 – Shelly’s earliest experience of same-sex attraction
- 17:30 – Opening to curiosity around lesbianism while letting go of the disgust she had been taught
- 20:00 – The difference in intimacy shared between women and men
- 28:00 – Shelly’s first gay experience
- 39:00 – How Shelly talks to her seven children about sex now that they are out of the Mormon church
Due to unusual circumstances, this week’s Quick 5 is only available to our Patreon supporters. Thank you for your support!
The Patreon extras for this episode are:
- At the $5/month level, the first few minutes of the Q&A
- At the $7/month level, that conversation plus another 12.5 minutes of Q&A
- At the $10/month level, all that plus a monthly Ask Me Anything!
To join the Patreon community visit https://www.patreon.com/goodgirlstalkaboutsex
If you like this show, please leave a rating and review at https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/good-girls-talk-about-sex/id1436501617?mt=2.
Want to be on the show? Visit www.leahcarey.com/guest and let me know that you’re interested. I’d love to talk with you!
To learn about Sexual Communication Coaching, visit www.leahcarey.com/coaching
Editor – Gretchen Kilby
Music by – Nazar Rybak