Episode 8a – BONUS! – The STARS conversation
In this special bonus episode, Dr. Evelin Dacker explains the STARS method she created. It’s an easy-to-remember acronym that will help you begin conversations leading to great, consensual sex.
But I don’t want you to just get the theory behind the conversation, I want you to hear it in practice! So I invited my friend Ray to join me for a sample STARS conversation that you’ll get to hear about halfway through this episode.
- 1:26 – What is sex positivity?
- 4:00 – The lack of conversation about sex in the medical profession
- 5:00 – An overview of what the letters in STARS stand for
- 6:50 – Leah’s experience with STARS
Breaking down the STARS conversation:
- 9:07 – STI Status
- 10:32 – Turn Ons
- 11:13 – Avoids
- 12:18 – Relationship intentions
- 13:55 – Safer sex practices
A sample STARS conversation:
- 16:48 – Introducing Ray
- 17:51 – STI Status
- 20:35 – Turn Ons and avoids
- 27:56 – Relationship intentions (for the sake of clarity – this conversation was taped last summer, prior to entering a monogamous relationship with my current partner who you have heard me references in episodes that were taped more recently)
- 31:16 – Safer sex practices